- Buy kit in Poundland - choose from Chestnut or White.
- Follow instructions carefully - be especially careful not to over water the compost, a plant sprayer used to lightly mist it once a day is enough.
- Keep it in a cupboard, somewhere coolish, not too cold, not too warm, out of draughts, not near any direct heat, and definitely not too dry.
- Check it obsessively several times a day as if the mushrooms will appear by magic within minutes...
- Around a week later you'll see white stuff appear up the sides and on the surface of the compost, it may have little nodules:
- Keep checking, misting with water - but don't poke the nodules! They'll be getting bigger - turning into little baby mushrooms.
- Pick first mushroom when really too small and eat anyway, after all, there'll be more soon, right?
- Go and get the other sort from Poundland, just because it's fun.
Tuesday, 20 May 2014
To grow small, button mushrooms... I think they're button mushrooms? The sort you can buy in supermarkets, small, closed cap, pink gills inside.