Growing failures update:
- First lot of courgettes eaten by slugs. Had to resort to slug pellets but got pet friendly ones, hope they're ok.
- Carrots are rubbish - but we're not alone in that on the allotment site, lots of people have had a complete failure to germinate so far. Might be worth re-sowing soon though.
- Cucumbers keep turning yellow and falling off the plants - any ideas?
- Runner beans looking pale and anaemic - no clue why, has been suggested they might not like it chilly at night? Or someone suggested a dose of epsom salts?
- Mushrooms each did 1 'shroom, and I got all excited and ate them, but then stopped doing anything.
- Most of the tomato plants eaten by slugs.
Of the first 6 sprout plants I put in the plot, 2 are doing well (as in the pic), 2 are smaller but ok, and 2 got eaten - blaming the damned slugs again! This week I topped up the sprout patch with more plants so there are 12 there now. I think that might do, seeing as only 2 of us eat them!
Mission accomplished, and although I know there'll be more to eat from the allotment, and the garden too, that first crop tastes so good, and the sense of achievement is immense.